When you think about quality time, probably you think of the precious time spent with your family or closest friends. The time you intensely enjoy with your dearest. It re-connects and gives you energy. But sadly enough this happens too little, and mostly during (planned) vacations or short trips.
But what if we transfer the concept of quality time into your work? And I don’t mean to have quality time with your colleagues (could be fun though…) but spending quality time how you work.
Quality over Quantity
What if you give your working day more quality time instead of quantity time. Meaning choosing activities based on what brings real value. Value regarding the outcome for your work but also to yourself.
Lot of books are written about efficiency, timetables and ROI and so forth. Which is actually a rational approach based on the old production theory, only counting numbers (A.K.A. Spreadsheet Management) What if you plan and choose your activities based on your ambition for that day. Decide which tasks belong to achieve this daily ambition, and enjoy it fully.
How to do this:
- Prepare your day, with outlook/mail and other production programs, closed. Sit down an decide what end-goal you would like to accomplish that day. For your work and for yourself. This is your daily ambition.
- Write down what you really need to do, your must do tasks, to accomplish your daily ambition. Including a list of people you definitely need to contact for your ambition.
- Open your computer and start to work on your must do list.
- When you accomplished one third of your must do list, open your inbox for max 30 minutes to reply to e-mails and other requests. Close your mail program and other non necessary programs.
- Take a break and refocus on your must do list, and start continue working on this.
Basically it’s about opening your mail program only when it serves your purpose and not others. Make it a habit to open your mail program only in the morning, midday and day ending. Don’t be a slave of your computer or mail program. You are in control!
Put your personal values in to your work by giving it your full attention it deserves. Give your energy to your daily ambition. This will re-connect your drives and give satisfaction to yourself and in the end also to your stakeholders ;–)